Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Don't Take the Fun Out of the Game

So, when I started this blog, one thing I wanted to blog about was my adventures with golf.  Well, I haven't had all that many yet.  I've got a lot of other things going on, so I can't make it out to the driving range as much as I probably need to and I don't go with Husband every time he plays.  This is fine with me.  I'm not trying to get great; I got involved because it was fun.  Husband has taken a more serious turn on the golf front.  He goes to the driving range more, he's taken lessons, and he plays much, much more often than I do.  So, he has gotten significantly better than I have.  From what I've seen, guys typically hit the ball further down the fairway in general.  When I tee off, the ball normally doesn't go fifty yards.  Basically, I sort of putt my way down the fairway.  Let me point out that this isn't the worst thing because I don't lose balls in the rough, but it does take me longer to get to the green.  I'm okay with that, but I understand that it can be irritating to the people I play with, unless, while I'm putting my way down the green, they're searching for balls that they can't find. 

I got a little off topic.  I never intended to get super absorbed in golf, but I understand how it can become absorbing for people, like my husband.  He's got lots of friends that play, he has a strong desire to get really good, and he seems improvement pretty much every time he plays.  He plays pretty much every weekend, and he's gotten crazy a couple of times and played two days in a row! 

Now, all that is great, and I'm not complaining about the time he spends playing golf or the dedication he is putting into it.  I really think it's great.  My dad is an avid golfer, and I really like that they play golf together.  But that kind of dedication, that love for the game, doesn't come to everyone.  Yes, I like the game.  If I had a ton of extra time, of if I had a bunch of friends that played, maybe my desire to get better and play all the time would be stronger.  But as it is right now, when I play, I'm "one of the guys."  Not that I really mind that either...  Until whoever I'm playing with, Dad or Husband, gets frustrated with me for not hitting the ball very far.  Yes, I know lessons and going to the driving range would help, but lessons don't jump out at me as something I want to spend a lot of time or money on, and in the evenings, I don't have a lot of extra time to go to the driving range...  Especially if I need to work on the training for my race.  To be honest, running and working out in the morning started, in part, so I could have time here and there to go to the driving range after work. 

But I decided to try a ladies' group lesson.  It's a little workshop that will be from 6-8 tonight and next Wednesday.  I'm not really all that excited about it to be honest.  It's going to take up my evening, and there are other things that I kind of need to do, but I figured this can't hurt, and it will give me a better idea of whether or not this game is for me.  It may help me out a little bit, and at least I can say I tried it.  I just don't know how much more I can take of people getting irritated with me for not hitting the ball very far (although, if I'm really far behind, I certainly have never minded picking up my ball and dropping it closer to the green to catch up; it's not like I even keep score). 

I guess the initial fun of the game has gone away...  I feel too much pressure to get better, but I'll never be good enough.  At least not any time soon.  I get frustrated, not in my own game, but in how others talk to me.  I appreciate the critiques, but sometimes what they think is enough or is an acceptable amount oh "help" is actually too much.  I've already got a million pointers running through my head, in addition to the pressure of trying to get a decent drive down the freaking fairway so I don't hold everyone else up...  I just wanted to play for fun, and if it's not fun, I am not going to enjoy it.  If I feel like I'm just being a nuisance to the people I'm with, I'm not going to have fun.  I don't, nor will I ever, take this game too seriously.  I'm not a competitive person at all, and when people get really frustrated with the game (start banging or throwing clubs or acting angry), I get uncomfortable.  Maybe this isn't the game for me, but I'm going to give it a chance.  I'm giving it a chance, but because golf is one thing for one person doesn't mean it's that same thing for someone else.  I'd hoped that it would be something Husband and I could do together.  Maybe it is, but it isn't something we can really learn together because we are learning at very different paces, and we have very different levels of passion for it.  Maybe golf is something that you can only play with people who share your mind set about it...  My hopes are still high, but frustration is setting in.  It's actually making me a bit sad.  Maybe this little golf class will make the tides turn.  We'll see...

As for something that I have set as my own goal for, I made it outside for a run today.  The first time since Saturday's great run!  I've been inside on the elliptical for the past two days.  The run went really well, but the app did that little screw up again where it started me off already about .6 miles in, and I didn't notice until I got my 5 minute update and was already at 1.23 miles or something like that, so my distance and pace aren't accurate. :( Minor, but still irritating. 

Happy Wednesday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment