Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Divergent

I finished up reading Divergent last night, and I have to say that, overall, it was a pretty good book!  It was such a change in pace from my previous read, 50 Shades of Grey, that it took some time to adjust to something written for a younger audience.  That being said, Divergent, is certainly a book that can be enjoyed by adults, as well as teenagers I feel.  It did take me some time to get into the book, probably because it was such a change of pace from the last one.  But as I gave it time, I got to know the characters, and they were very believable... something that is very important to me!

The main character is a 16 year old girl who lives in a society that has been "rebuilt" after civilization (our way of life as we know it today) fell.  Think along the lines of The Hunger Games, only instead of having a capitol with submissive districts, there are five fractions.  Each fraction values one quality above all others.  For example, one fraction values bravery, one knowledge, one honesty, one selflessness and one amnity.  People are, for the most part, confined to their fraction.  Every year, the 16 year olds take a test which determines what other fraction they may fit into.  Then, they must choose if they would like to switch to another fraction or stay put.  If they leave, they give up their lives as they know it.  They will no longer be able to stay with their family, and in most cases, they won't see their families ever again.

So, our main character is faced with the decision as to what she wants to do with her future.  Okay, here come some spoilers, so if you haven't read the book, and plan to, stop reading here.  I was skeptical at first of Tris.  I can't say exactly why.  She obviously did not fit into the fraction she was born into, and she adapted so quickly into the Dauntless.  I think it could have been how, at times, she was so... hardened?  I'm not sure if that is the right word, but it was almost out of character.  But as the book progressed, I liked her character more and more...  He emotions seemed pretty in line with those of a 16 year old.  All of the characters seemed very believable.  The storyline was easy to follow, and the book in general didn't make you think too hard.  It was, however, a thinking book.  It made me think about what I would do if I were in  situation like that.  Would I be able to leave my life and my family and everything I knew for a value that I thought I had, only to be thrown into a world I knew nothing about?  Of course, if society as we know it fell, I don't think it would be reborn under these conditions.  I find a society such as the one in The Hunger Games much more likely to come to fruition.  I don't think that many people would be able to segregate themselves into fractions based solely on one value that they hold stronger than any other, as we see many of the characters struggle with.  It works for the story, but it would not work in real life. 

I've strarted the second book, and I'm looking forward to seeing where the war is taken. I also look forward to seeing more character development is Tris and Four.  I hope that they don't "grow up" too fast, as I could see happening...  If you know what I mean...

No comments:

Post a Comment