Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Value of Relationships

Very recently, I found out that an ex boyfriend of mine's brother had been seriously, I mean seriously, injured in a motorcycle accident.  Having not kept in touch with the ex or his family, I was very hesitant to reach out and offer my thoughts and prayers.  Way back when, when the ex and I were dating (high school, early college), I was close with his family,but when we broke up the relationships I had formed with his mom, step dad, brother, etc. all faded away. 

Well, I just couldn't sit around and not let the family know that my thoughts and prayers were with them.  So, I sent a message to my ex's mom.  I simply told her I was praying for all of them and would continue to do so.  She was so kind in her response, and she even said that she was glad I contacted her. 

Just because people don't remain a constant in our lives does not change the fact that you care about them.  We meet people all the time, and people come and go in and out of our lives constantly, but just because you may lose touch with someone doesn't make it wrong to reach out and let them know that you care, especially in a situation like this.  Do I have anything to do with my ex or his family?  No, but for a long time, they were all very much a part of my life, and I certainly don't want anything bad to happen to them.  Quite the opposite, actually.  I wish them the best, and I was so concerned about the accident and what it meant. 

I thank my ex's mom for being so kind to me as to fill me in and let me know what happened.  To this day, she means quite a bit to me, as do so many people from my past.

I think this post is about not being afraid to reach out.  There are so many circumstances that come up where we want to tell someone how we feel but we are scared to for whatever reason.  Fear is something that should not hold you back from telling someone you care about them.  I hope that no one feels that I hold ill will towards them because I don't talk to them anymore.  People grow apart and change; life takes us in new directions, but this was a learning experience to me.  I didn't expect my ex's mom to thank me for contacting me.  I don't know what I expected, but I was so happy in the response I got.  Not the news of the accident, but that she now knows that I'm praying for a full, speedy and hopefully painless recovery for her son. 

People are put in our past not to be forgotten, but to learn from.  And we should never stop loving those that have held a place in our heart.  It's sad it took a very serious accident for me to reach out, although otherwise, I wouldn't have had a reason to contact her.  But it's sad that I was scared to.  In any situation, if you feel the need to reach out, please do so.  It's really the only option, other than possibly facing terrible regret for not expressing your feelings.  Imagine if he hadn't made it?  I shudder at the awful, awful thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment